It's always fun to be awakened by a knock on the door. Even more so when you peek out the window to see who it is and there's a State Trooper's car out front with the lights going.
Since the trooper handling Rob's accident investigation works midnight to 8 a.m., she stopped by toward the end of her shift this morning to get Rob's statement regarding the accident. His statement is that he suffered a brain injury and now has post-traumatic amnesia, therefore, he doesn't remember anything before the accident or for some time following the accident. Plain and simple.
Trooper Hunt said that the other driver's lab results came back from the hospital and Rob's medical records are trickling in, so she's getting the things she needs in order to wrap up her investigation of the accident. We briefly discussed that intersection and she said she heard about the article in the newspaper and that someone who lives there complained about the light. She took a look at Rob's helmet and said she wanted to make note of what kind it was so she can recommend it. She looked at the side where Rob slid and told us there was blue from his helmet where he slid in the road.
Rob's motorcycle is still at Troop D and Trooper Hunt asked if we saw it. I told her that we asked about it when we went down there to sign the documents so she can obtain the medical records, but the trooper we met with didn't know if the bike was still there. Trooper Hunt said Rob can go down, if he wants to, and ask to see it. She said there are lots of motorcycles back there, but I'm sure we would be able to recognize Rob's. She did say that there's nothing left to the front of the bike. All the dials and 'gadgets' were all crushed on impact with the truck. There's basically a front tire, then the seat and everything back. :S
If we find ourselves in the neighborhood, maybe we'll stop in to see the bike. The attorneys are going to be handling where the bike goes once it's released from investigation at the Troop, since it'll still be evidence in whatever insurance investigations will be ongoing. I think it helps Rob to make this situation 'real' when he sees his helmet, sees the pictures of him in the hospital, the accident scene, etc. One of my very good friends was killed by a drunk driver on her 18th birthday. I was pregnant with Mindy. It was in November, 1995. We graduated high school that June. I got a call from my dad while I was at my grandmother's house for Thanksgiving dinner. My dad was at the football game and heard the news about my friend there. It was so heartbreaking! Everyone in the car was seriously injured. It was a devastating accident and I think the entire town of Putnam was affected. Anyway, at her calling hours I was talking with her brother and asked why her casket was closed. He told me that it was originally open, but her parents felt that she just didn't look like herself and decided to close the casket. My point in mentioning this is that her death was never 'real' to me. I didn't see her in that casket. I was at all the services for her and I know where she's buried, but there's a part of me that always felt like I'm going to run into her at a store one day. I feel like I didn't have closure on the fact that she died. It just couldn't have happened. So, I think it's important for Rob to, hopefully, get to see his motorcycle and to keep reminding him of what happened by talking about what we know and showing him the pictures we have. It will help him to accept his situation.
Aside from that, it looks like Trooper Hunt is going to be finishing her investigation soon. I'm looking forward to finding out what's been concluded. No matter what, I will continue to feel very strongly that change needs to happen at that intersection!

No comments:
Post a Comment