Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Something I didn't even think about!

Upon arriving home this evening, I did as much research as my brain could handle on rehabilitation for Rob's traumatic brain injury. What freaks me out is that these facilities also specialize in MS therapy. I think about our children and feel so badly that now both of their parents' brains aren't working properly. However, since these facilities treat both of our disabilities, our family will get exactly what we need to function together.
Gaylord in Wallingford, CT has moved to the top of my list. All of their rooms are single rooms and accommodations can be made for a family member to spend the night. I'm impressed by the fact that they will come to UMASS and meet with Rob's treating physicians there, meet with Rob and all of us, and make an informed decision collectively as to whether or not Gaylord is the right place for treatment, as well as a personalized care plan based on Rob's specific needs and the needs of our family. They also accept BOTH of our insurances, which is huge!
Here's something I didn't even give thought to, but is very important - THEY ALLOW OUR DOG TO VISIT!!! :D
I expect to receive a call from one of the nursing staff at Gaylord before the end of the week. I confirmed that I wasn't hearing back because UMASS needed to make the referral first. Once the referral is received, they will arrange a meeting at UMASS and we can set up a tour of their hospital. They only do tours on weekdays, which will be difficult, but they do have a beautiful virtual tour on their website.
Rob would be able to receive mail there and visiting hours are from 1 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. They have all kinds of real-life settings, including a grocery store, for use in their care programs. I'm really looking forward to speaking with them further. I hate the thought of Rob living in Wallingford for who-knows-how-long, but I absolutely want him to receive top-notch care.
While I'm also impressed with Spaulding in Boston and feel their facility would be wonderful, they will not accept our secondary insurance and there's a hiccup with our primary insurance. Because we don't know how long Rob will not be able to work, I don't know how long we'll have our primary insurance. Also, our primary insurance is specific to Connecticut.
I don't care much for two of the other facilities UMASS mentioned to me. Mount Sinai at Saint Francis Hospital in Hartford came up somehow. I can't quite remember if it's something I found or something they found. Who cares...Anyway, it's in the middle of the city versus Gaylord being on 500 acres of former farmland. There's the dog thing, and the overnight stay thing...I just really like the idea of Gaylord so much better. I'm trying to think outside the box of convenience on this. I really want Rob to get better. I don't think throwing him into the middle of Hartford when we live in a suburban area will be a good thing for him. They do train station simulation and cross walks with traffic signals, which isn't something Rob needs. I feel more comfortable with the variety of rehabilitation at Gaylord, the customization of treatment, the ammenities, the setting, and the family accessibility there.
Of course, I suppose this could all change if something there creeps me out. I wish Rob could help me decide. :( [He'd hate them all - he's very picky.]

4 comments:

  1. Gaylord sounds like a wonderful place for him to be. I know Jehovah will help you make the right decision. Remember, Jehovah is your primary pillar.....lean on him....you know he will never disappoint you, and he knows EXACTLY what you are feeling and going thru.
    Just take it day by day and give what you can't handle at the time to Jehovah.
    Agape love to you and the kids

    ReplyDelete
  2. this place sounds great hun...i think in this case it's the best but you'll need to investigate further but the MS thing combined in the facility may give you many options and new possibilities for yourself as well. it seems they are a perfect place for rob and it is a good thing for the family as a whole. miss mums misses daddy too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a wonderful place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a great choice.

    ReplyDelete