Wednesday, July 28, 2010
First Day Out of ICU
So, I'm not too impressed with this new area Rob's in. I was told they'd start therapy with him once he got into a regular room, but not one person came into his room all day. One doctor was in early who told me it's good that I spend the day with him because he needs familiarity. At one point, though, his nurse asked me if I'm a nurse. She said I seem like I have medical background in me by the way I'm taking care of Rob. Just instinct, I guess. ;) Anyway, this is going to be a long haul. I need to find out what our insurance will cover as far as a rehab facility, then see where there are beds available before I can start making decisions on that. (This is the crappiest decision I've ever had to make.) I was told that he'll be discharged to rehab as soon as he's awake and talking more. Based on how lively he was today, it's not going to be long before that happens. His mom and I brought toys for him that kept him busy. She played music for him on her phone and he was singing along to some of the words. He recognized people's pictures and was better able to identify his visitors today. He still thinks he's at Day Kimball Hospital, but at least he's aware he's in a hospital. Oh yeah - he wanted to write. He circled numbers and wrote "8290923" twice. Don't know what that is. He wrote "Cyclone" and signed his name. I'm feeling badly about how much the horse and work is on his mind. :/
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

May I also add that I needed to tell the nurse how much Rob urinated. His one-on-one person didn't realize he's trying to pull his stitches out. He thought he was just there to make sure Rob didn't try to get out of bed. Quite frankly, I don't think he cares if Rob pulls his stitches out. His wounds are oozing puss and I'm ready to bring my own Neosporin there tomorrow. I haven't wanted to leave him all along, but I really didn't want to leave tonight. Especially once his nurse mentioned that the other nurse didn't brief her on Rob before she left. :S
ReplyDeleteNot cool Crys! I'd be the squeaky wheel when it comes to Rob's care. And, I'd contact his doctor first thing in the morning if they continue to ignore him. Talk about from one extreme to the other!
ReplyDelete