Sunday, July 25, 2010

Weekend Wrap-Up

I'm going to begin with, "What a nightmare!" I've been feeling like this can't possibly be happening because 1 Corinthians 10:13 says, "God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear." I just kept imploring Him to stop having so much faith in me! Seriously, I can't bear it anymore and I want it to stop. That Scripture continues on to assure that "along with the temptation he will also make the way out in order for you to be able to endure it." Okay, I'll give Him that one because the only explaination for me to continue standing at this point is divine backing. I'm grateful.
Three days have felt like an eternity. When everyone's around I somehow muster up the ability to keep it together. However, early in the mornings and late in the evenings I sit at Rob's bedside, holding his hand and watching him breathe with a constant flow of tears. What did my husband actually live through Thursday night?
It's amazing that Rob spoke to me just three days after this horrible injury. He didn't really talk afterward, but he was looking for me in the room and would turn to look at the nurse when she came in to poke and prod. The night nurse gave him a little pain medicine to help him have a more relaxing night. He's trying to rip everything off and out of him. I was actually told he may end up with gloves on - gloves that look like boxing gloves - so he can't be so "grabby." It's not to be mean. It's for his own protection. What was really cute is how he tried to give me hugs. He put his arm around my back and patted my back as if he was burping a baby. The back rubbing was a little more gentle. Can't say the same for the hair grab/head rub, though. Poor Rob. :P I wasn't going to let on too much that his affection was on the scary side. I'm just happy to be getting it. :)
Mom and Dad Comeau didn't get to hear him speak, but he waved "hi" to them. It was cute.
I hated to leave the hospital tonight, but I was assured by the night nurses that they were going to just be keeping him calm with the pain medication and watching his breathing. The Respiratory Therapist gave him a breathing treatment, which seemed to help loosen up what he was trying to cough up and also quieted his breathing a bit. He wants to cough so badly, but that broken rib isn't making it easy for him. Right now, the goal is to get him talking and alert so the neurologists can be confident that his ICPs are good and his brain is starting to heal. As soon as that happens, Rob will get to lose the neck brace. Believe me - he wants that thing gone!
I'll be back up there with him bright and early, as usual. We are extremely grateful for everyone's love, support, and encouragement. Even though things are positive right now, Rob is still in critical condition. It's a horrifying thought that something could go wrong, but it is realistic. Thank you for the prayers. Please keep them going out. (((hugs)))

1 comment:

  1. keep that faith hun, it sure does help us to stay strong. i am hopeful that rob will continue to get better each day and that you will also be ok. remember that your health is especially important for the kids now. hopefully soon you'll be able to be home more and give the kids back some normalcy in their lives. i will try to get them up there to see their dad soon. i know they will be happy to see him in a better state than they now know him to be. keep strong, stay healthy and make sure you eat well and drink enough. we don't need you off your feet as well. rob will be ok...think positive.

    ReplyDelete