Rob mentioned at physical therapy this morning that his left knee's been bothering him. He thought it might be due to the stretching exercises he was given to do at home. The therapist went through the exercises with him to make sure his technique was correct, then Rob mentioned that a doctor told him once that he had one leg longer than the other. So, she moved Rob's kneecaps around and moved his legs to find out where his pain is located. She looked at his legs while he was stretched out on the table, with his knees bent, then while he was standing. She took measurements and did determine that his left leg is 2 cm longer than his right leg. She told him that it could cause pain because he would respond by putting more weight on the left leg. (His left knee gave him trouble even before his accident.) She gave him a heel insert for his right sneaker. At first, he said he felt weird walking with it in his shoe. Later, though, he mentioned that he forgot it was even in there. Hopefully it helps ease the pain he's experiencing.
We did have a pretty eventful day today. I think doing too much today may have contributed to a sort-of "crash ending." After therapy, we stopped somewhere to look at a vehicle I was interested in, which sold this morning. :/ Rob's brother stopped over to give him a t-shirt he bought for him at a concert he went to last night. Just before his brother left, a friend stopped by for a minute. We had to go to the store for a few things, and this evening we had dinner plans at Rob's cousin's house.
Rob had been worrying about going to his cousin's house for a few days. I didn't know he was concerned until he mentioned it at speech therapy yesterday morning. His speech therapist did encourage him to try, though. She told him that the more he avoids situations, the scarier they're going to become for him. She also assured him that his family and friends know what he's dealing with and should be able to understand accommodations he needs, or modifications he needs to make to his environment in order to feel more comfortable. (For example, having to step outside or ask for the television to be lowered or turned off.)
So, we went to Rob's cousin's house and his wife went all out with dinner! His cousin was cooking the chicken on the grill. His other cousin stopped over there, too. The baby was playing with her toys. We were looking at some of their wedding pictures from the disposable cameras on the tables and the wedding video was playing on the t.v. The atmosphere was too much of an overload and Rob needed to go outside. I could tell this reaction was different.
He couldn't go back inside. :( We felt really bad, but we had to leave before we ate dinner. I know his cousins understood, but his cousin's wife really outdid herself on dinner so we felt horrible. She sent us off with plenty so we had something to eat when we arrived home, too. What a fabulous hostess! ;)
Rob was really feeling upset about things on the ride home. I completely understand the anxiety he was experiencing. It's something you can't explain and something people who don't go through it can't comprehend. Rob's aware that's he's guilty of not empathizing with this very symptom of mine. I hate that he's becoming more aware of what I've been going through by going through it himself, but I'm glad that we're able to help each other cope with these things on the same level. I told him I was proud of him for going to his cousin's house tonight. We were there for over an hour and had a half-hour ride to get there and back home, so it was a pretty big deal. I would definitely not call the evening a failure.
Next time, even though it's an uncomfortable thing to do, Rob knows he should ask for the television to be shut off. Eliminating that variable would make a difference. I also think evenings are not the best time for "big" things to take place. I know I'm my best earlier in the day and as the day progresses, I lose stamina, patience, and the aches and pains increase. Rob seems to be the same.
Our plan for tomorrow is to take it easy and live simply. :) We'll piddle around the house and will, most likely, have an errand or two to run. For the most part, though, our Wednesday will be for recouperation.

what is wrong with the van? last mention about it, awhile ago, was just the emissions thing. Jimmy had told Rob what it needed, that it had to b ordered from the dealer, and we never heard anything after that. is it still just that issue?
ReplyDeleteit's amazing what a pt can do....my pt is holly. i never want to go but am always glad i did.
ReplyDeleteThe rear shocks are broken on the van. It jolts to the side in the rear when we drive over bumps on the highway and stuff. We have one slider we can't use at all because it won't shut again once it's opened, and the other slider lost its weather stripping and has a problem with the lock and handle. The windshield is cracked. It definitely needs a new battery and probably and alternator. There's a misfire somewhere. There are suspension issues in the front end. It needs brakes. The emission system needs to be replaced. It was due for emissions in December and I haven't been able to bring it through. There's a noise coming from either the traction control system or ABS, it's hard to say because both those dummy lights are on.
ReplyDeleteRob said "everything" when I asked him what's wrong with it. :P