Rob's being pushed harder in Physical Therapy. A lot of what his therapist is doing with him is stuff he was doing while at Gaylord. While they're not familiar exercises to Rob, I remember him doing these things and can see a huge improvement in his ability to perform the exercises. It's fantastic! :)
There's also much improvement in Rob's Speech Therapy tasks. He's learning how to strategize more effectively, which is demonstrated by his increased ability to recall information. Again, there are many tasks that Rob was not able to do while at Gaylord that he is doing really well with now. I love seeing the amazing strides he's making.
There is certainly a need for "supervision", but Rob has been encouraged to initiate on his own and take over some responsibilities. He's doing a wonderful job and I always look forward to discussing his accomplishments with his Speech Therapist. He's troubleshooting problems very well and following through on finishing projects. He set up his medicine container for the upcoming week on his own and even without prompting. I did mark the bottles according to the time of day he takes the medicine, but I think he'll be able to continue that responsibility without me having to mark them. I did a quick check to make sure it was done correctly, but also asked him if he had orange and red in the morning and orange and two whites at night and he was able to confirm that. :)
Yesterday was a gorgeous autumn day so we decided to hit the disc golf course. Rob played well for his first time post-accident. He said it was "depressing", but he's just being too hard on himself. I know how frustrating difficulties with vision are. I also found out Friday that I have decreased strength in my right hand, which was sort of surprising to me. I know I've been "trembly", dropping things and having difficulty writing, but I've probably been too busy to notice how weak my right hand is getting. As far as my optic neuritis, there's not much that can be done about the worsening in my vision. My neurologist said it's typical and my eye doctor said we're just going to watch it. I'm noticing a lot of desaturation. Rob has double vision, which is different, but anything that messes up the way you see is frustrating and disturbing. He says he wishes there was a pill he could take that would fix his vision. I feel bad that it's just going to take time to resolve itself. The eye doctor is upset that insurance won't pay for the vision therapist because he says Rob needs therapy, and we know that. He provided Rob with an aid to use at home in addition to the other things he's been doing. Rob goes back to see him in three weeks. The doctor's hoping to be able to progress Rob to prism stickers on his lenses that are able to be changed as his vision gets better. For now, he's just pleased that Rob is comfortable using the glasses and has corrected vision with them. I'm pretty confident Rob won't have his #61 disc golf tag too much longer. He'll be back in the competitive game soon enough. ;)
On our way home from the disc golf course, we figured we'd stop by my brother's house. When we pulled up to the road and Rob saw cars there, he was hesitant for me to stop. With assurance that it was just our sister-in-law's parents, we proceeded. It was a very quick visit, since they were actually heading out to a friend's wedding, which my brother was in, but Rob did get to meet our new nephew and I got to hold his adorable little hand and talk him out of crying for a few moments. :P Rob mentioned that he'd like to follow through on the plan visit with them later this afternoon, so hopefully we'll be able to make that happen. We will be visiting at Rob's parents' house in a little while, though. Optimistically, none of us will be too tired or overwhelmed to keep all our plans for the day. :)
The coming week includes an appointment with the Physiatrist, which is going to be very helpful in coordinating Rob's care, as well as continuing Physical Therapies and Speech Therapies. I have an appointment for another brain MRI in Norwich. It makes me nervous that I have to take my van all that way, but I've been making it so far. Rob is also going to begin seeing the orthopedic doctor for his left knee this week. So, as usual, we'll be busy, busy, busy. It sure does keep us on our toes, though. ;)

No comments:
Post a Comment